Winter tips from the AvD
If you want to arrive safely in winter, you should treat your car to a winter check. For AvD members this check is free, in many workshops it is offered at prices of ten to 30 euros.
Winter Check: 11 inspection criteria
A good winter check should include at least eleven test criteria, three of which have to do with good vision:
- Windscreen wiper: condition and wiping performance
- Headlamp: setting and condition (humidity)
- Windscreen washer: level and antifreeze
- Radiator Fluid: Level and Antifreeze (Glysantin)
- Engine oil: level and condition (age, viscosity)
- Brake Fluid: Level and Condition (Condensation)
- Battery: acidity and power output
- Door locks: Preventively treat with graphite
- Door seals: preventively treat with talcum or grease (tallow)
- Brakes: Check discs and pads for condition, braking effect
- Winter tires: check profile (at least four millimeters) and age (maximum six years)
In addition, all drivers should regularly clean the windows of the car, the rear-view mirror and the headlight lenses - and wear glasses wear their lenses.
Motorists can see for themselves whether their eyesight has changed, for example, while driving on the highway: Anyone who has healthy eyes or properly adapted glasses, can read the lettering on departure signs from a distance of 100 meters. If the visual performance only deteriorates by one diopter, the font only becomes readable from a distance of 25 meters.
the essentials in brief
- Especially in the fall, drivers need to ensure a clear view on the road.
- Every two years motorists should have their eyes examined in an eye test.
- So the eye test is not forgotten: best connect the appointment of the main investigation with an appointment for an eye test.
- Large, anti-reflective and polarizing - that's what the ideal eyewear for the road looks like.